Should You Move To The Country?

So what sort of person do you need to be to move out to the country and make a good go of it?  Well, in my opinion, here are some character traits that are pretty important:

1. Like being outdoors
2. Not afraid to get dirty
3. Not worried about breaking nails, having messy hair
4. Don't mind sweating
5. Not afraid of working HARD
6. Appreciate isolation

Those are just the very basics.  I know people look at TV shows and read magazines and have this rosy glorified idea of what life in the country is like.



Hey, it's what attracted me originally so I get it.  And yes, some of it IS like that.  The fabulous views, the peace and quiet (that isn't really quiet, it's just a different sort of noise, you know, bugs, birds, tractors...) the ability to grow your own food on a larger scale, the animals...BUT it can also be very isolating.  You have to plan a little more if you need things from certain stores.  You will hardly ever see your friends from the city if you've moved more than 30 minutes away.  You can't just walk out the door on a whim for a beer or a sit on a patio.  It's difficult to get good internet service (in fact we don't have ANY right now and are in no hurry to sign up either).  Will that bother you?  If the answer is yes, then a move to the country is probably not the best option for you right now.

Are you afraid of bugs?  Bats?  Mice?  If yes, it's definitely not going to be for you.  I get bugs in my hair almost every day!  I anticipate mice will be paying us a visit quite soon as the farmer next door will soon be harvesting his corn field and the weather is getting cooler.  We have well water that frequently smells like sulphur.  It's great for your skin and hair but not especially appetizing to smell in the shower or in a glass.  Does that freak you out?  It takes Darrick at least an hour to mow the grass.  We have literally pounds and pounds of compost to deal with.  The list goes on and on.


As you can see, there are a lot of things to consider beyond the idea of sunny fields of corn and charming country lanes.  I've lost weight just working on my gardens getting them ready for next year!  I've sweated and gotten dizzy with the effort of digging and moving and weeding and refilling and hauling.  I've shattered all my nails, hurt my wrist and gotten grass stains on my jeans.  But I also get to take breaks swaying gently in the breeze in my hammock, under a lovely tree, book in hand.

And I wouldn't trade it for the world.  Would you?  The answer to that question is key.


The before and after of weeding a huge flower bed (and it's still not done.  In fact, it's never done!)



The barn that will house our vermiculture venture in warmer seasons.


Even the stormy skies are appealing.

0 Responses

Something to Say?